A teacher and an enthusiastic athlete, ranked nationally in teams, George Carlton "King" Shafer opened camp in 1905. He started with a handful of boy campers and a staff consisting of fellow teachers and athletes at Tripp Lake in Susquehanna County. Until 2001 Camp Susquehannock remained as one of the oldest camps in the country under the same family management with members from three generations continuing King's mission. The summer season of 2001 started the new millennium with the future of camp under the guidance of a board of directors. The board today consists of alumni, former parents, and long standing friends of Susquehannock. Shafer family members remain active in camp life during the summer and in the "off season".
In 1959, Ed and George Shafer took over as directors when King died. It had long been a desire of the Shafer family to open a camp for girls. This became a reality when the Carmalt family informed them that their land at nearby Lake Choconut was available. Camp Choconut for Boys had operated on that location off and on since 1896 and had competed against Susquehannock in baseball and tennis for many years. Susquehannock for Girls opened as a "sister" camp in 1986 again with a group of pioneer campers and eager counselors, some of whom were relatives of alumni.
In its twentieth successful year of operation in 2006, the Board of Camp Susquehannock, Inc. decided to consolidate its resources and relocate the girls' camp site to Tripp Lake. The girls' camp is now located in the lower camp close to the lake and the boys' camp is "up the hill." Both camps share the same pristine and glacial lake with its waterfront for swimming, fishing, sailing, canoeing, and general boating, rustic cabins, shower facilities, dining hall and impressive lodges, tennis courts, crafts building, stables and riding rings, indoor play areas, senior staff cottages, climbing tower, zip line and challenge course elements, a variety of playing fields and court spaces as well as camping sites and miles of hiking areas and bridle trails.
|© 2013 Camp Susquehannock Inc. | FOUNDED 1905|